The public is asking the question more and more: “What is Functional Medicine?” Here’s our definition:
Functional medicine is a form of Western alternative medicine that seeks to identify, assess and address the underlying root cause of diseases that you, the patient, are suffering from. With that information, a Functional Medicine practitioner can better prepare and implement an individualized treatment protocol for you that will not only deal with the issues you are suffering from but also go way beyond that by improving all aspects of your health, wellness and vitality.
Functional Medicine is patient focused and not disease focused and views the body as one integrated system, not a collection of independent organs divided up by medical specialties. For instance a Functional Medicine doctor or practitioner is not treating a patient’s Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), they are assessing for the weaknesses and imbalances in the patient’s physiology to try and understand why the patient has RA. They are discovering and correcting the underlying cause of a disease process or dysfunction so the body can in turn return to a state of health and wellness.
In order for this system to work, Functional Medicine respects the close relationship between practitioner and patient, be clinically effective, easily implemented, and have a high degree of success.
In summary, the main role of Functional Medicine is:
- The prevention of disease and dysfunction by listening closely to the patient’s history and story, by examining the totality of symptoms as they relate to the patient’s genetics, environment, diet and lifestyle and focusing on the major risk factors of mortality and morbidity.
- The early detection of disease and dysfunction through the use of Functional Diagnosis Assessment methodologies:
- A focused history– Functionally oriented signs and symptoms analysis
- A Functionally and nutritionally oriented physical exam
- In-office assessment techniques
- In-office lab assessment techniques
- Functional Blood Chemistry and CBC Analysis
- Advanced Functional Diagnosis Testing (Saliva testing, stool analysis, etc.)
Our role here at the My Functional Medicine practitioner directory is to put you in touch with health care practitioners, physicians and doctors that are trained in Functional Medicine. Functional Medicine Doctors and practitioner are practitioners that care. You deserve to find the right caring practitioner who can help you on your own journey to regaining true health, wellness and vitality.