Functional Medicine is getting more and more popular so the natural question for most people interested in Functional Medicine is where do I find a doctor or practitioner specializing in Functional Medicine? That’s where the My Functional Medicine practitioner directory comes in. So here are a few questions to consider when using this directory to find a Functional Medicine healthcare practitioner:
- What’s the clinical training of the doctor or practitioner? Not all the practitioners on this directory have the same level of clinical training. For instance Medical Doctors (MDs), Osteopathic Physicians (DOs), Chiropractic Physicians (DCs) and Naturopathic Physicians (NDs) on the whole have been through a fairly rigorous 4-year residential medical education with hundreds of hours of supervised hands on clinical training and had to pass licensing board exams in order to practice medicine. While this doesn’t automatically qualify them as good Functional Medicine practitioners it gives you a sense of their background and experience. Other professionals, such as Acupuncturists, Dietitians, Nutritional Therapists, Nurse Practitioners and Certified Nutritionists have been through a standardized training and as such are trained and qualified to deal with your health care issues.
- What type of training in Functional Medicine have they had? There are a lot of courses and programs teaching Functional Medicine and the My Functional Medicine directory does its best to show you, the visitor, what training programs the doctors and practitioners have been trained in. We even give a brief description of the training course so you can see how many hours it is and what qualities it gives the practitioner.
- What do they specialize in? You can search the directory looking for a specialty or condition that a practitioner has experience working with. When you find someone you like, email them and ask them what their experience has been treating a condition like the one you’re suffering from.
- What are their reviews like? The reviews are posted by patients that have worked with that practitioner. Read them to see if they resonate with you. Have they had a good or bad experience? What were the success stories like?
- What are the ratings like? A rating of 4.5 from 25 people is often more telling than a rating of 5 from only 2 people. It’s hard to please all the people all the time so having a good rating from a lot of people is usually a good sign.
We hope that this short article will help you find the Functional Medicine practitioner of your dreams. Remember, Functional Medicine Doctors and practitioner are practitioners that care. My Functional Medicine is dedicated to helping you find the right caring practitioner so you can get the healthcare you deserve.